Take That Look Off Your Face!

 So yesterday, I got the opportunity to catch the UK tour of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Don Black's Tell Me On A Sunday (TMOAS), a one-woman show about a young British-woman living in 70s Manhatten, Hollywood and back again, in her search for the right man.
First performed in the late 1970s in London with Marti Webb, TMOAS was originally written as a one-act piece, though was revised a full 2-act work for its American première in New York - this new work was re-named Song and Dance, and starred Bernadette Peters (for which she won her first Best Actress in a Musical Tony award). The piece reverted back to its original 1 act form for a new production of TMOAS starring Denise Van Outen in 2003 and has been kept that way since.

Now, this new production is currently starring Jodie Prenger (who I last saw in Calamity Jane), and to be honest, she was the whole reason I decided to give this show a go - I of course had heard the big songs on the radio and in concert before, such as Take That Look Off Your Face and Tell Me On A Sunday, but it just didn't really appeal to me beforehand. But when I heard that Jodie was going to be taking on the role of Emma, I thought it may be worth giving it a chance, and so I came in with an open mind - and I am so glad I did!

Jodie was the perfect choice to play Emma! She goes through a lot, but still remains incredibly optimistic, and that is Jodie all over. She was funny one minute and heart-breaking the next. Her belty alto voice is perfect for ALW's amazing score and she played Black's hilarious and touching lyrics perfectly. And I now have even more respect for her as you need a lot of stamina to play Emma; it may only be a one-act show, but it is also a one-woman show, and she very rarely leaves the stage!

Now, while I was getting my programme, there was a box where you could write a question for Jodie for the post show chat and audience q+a, and so I thought, why not give it a go and write one down - and lo and behold, my question got picked!! You can imagine my internal giddiness when the musical director Francis Goodhand read it out (quick mention to the band by the way while I remember because they were awesome!)!! And after that brilliant q+a, and seeing as my question DID get asked, I knew I just HAD to go to the stage door to get my programme and ticket signed, and to take a selfie or 2! And I'm not sure I said in my Calamity write-up, but Jodie is so so lovely!!

I am really glad I managed to catch TMOAS and I think it is worth a watch. It is still going across the country, but only for 1 night in each place only, so swipe your tickets up quick!

Comments