A Round-Up of 2015!

What a Year!!! It's come to that time of year when we like to look back on the past 12 months, and I am no exception. 2015 has been a fantastic year to me personally, and the fact I got to see so much awesome stuff, does play a part. In fact, so much, Santa has given me that book I am reading for Christmas this year =P

So here's a quick run down of 2015, in my own personal way. To see the reviews of each show in full, click on the names in bold pink =)

Performance of the Year Award - At the end of the day, there is only one person who this CAN go to, and that is Imelda Staunton for her performance as Mama Rose in Gypsy, at the Savoy Theatre. I was in fact reminded of this performance last night, during the BBC4 broadcast. Well worth a watch to see what everyone's going on about, especially as the run finished last month. Oh and grab yourself the cast recording. Like NOW!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06t3shd/gypsy-live-from-the-savoy-theatre

Almost-but-not-quite Award - This is to the one show I saw which didn't quite get there, and for me, I'd have to go with the 30's Cole Porter classic Anything Goes, which I saw at the Manchester Opera House in the Spring. For me, while there were some good moments and performances, particularly with Debbie Kurup as Reno Sweeney, there was too much bonkers stuff going on, and it was just a bit too much of a farce for me. I know that sounds ridiculous as the whole concept of Anything Goes IS a farce, but it was just a little bit too over-the-top. It was ok, but just not as good as a lot of other stuff which has been better.

Leaky Eyes Award - This can only go to Miss SaigonI was amazed I was not a blubbering wreck at Cameron Mackintosh's revival of this epic piece, which is currently playing at The Prince Edward Theatre in London. This tragic love story set during and after the Vitenam War is closing in February before it moves to New York with current stars Jon Jon Briones and Eva Noblezada as The Engineer and Kim respectively; so if you haven't seen it, get your tickets QUICK!

Laughed-till-I-was-sore Award - There were a few ones which could have been in contention for this one, and honourable mentions need to go to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for making my parents almost wet themselves, and Spamalot for being the Monty Python we all know and love. But at the end of the day, there is only show I can give this one to, and that's The Producers, which was at Manchester's Palace Theatre. It was just one of those things in which EVERYTHING came together, along with some of the funniest performances, songs and writing I have possibly ever heard. I had no real knowledge of this show beforehand, and the day after, I was still humming Springtime for Hitler that much, I got the cast recording - that's a theatrical experience done right =D

Blew-my-mind Award - For me, this has to go to Calamity Jane at Manchester's Palace Theatre. To have a cast of actor/musicians THAT talented doing THAT kind of choreography, playing INCREDIBLY like that, and having a perfect Calamity in Jodie Prenger.. I have no words. Also, this show does have a special place in my heart, as it is the first show I went to see with my then-boyfriend-now-fiancé, and also I managed to meet Jodie and Tom Lister (who played Bill) at the end of the show

Danced-till-they-dropped Award
- Another tough one. I considered Calamity Jane and Guys and Dolls as possibilities, but after much reminiscing, I have decided to give this one to Drew McOnie (who must be THE busiest man atm.) and his work on Oklahoma, which I saw at The Lowry, Salford Quays. This is mainly for one sequence and one alone - the Dream Ballet sequence was a marvel to behold.

So you see, even from that, 2015 held quite a lot; and hopefully there will be just as much next year. I have gone through what I know what's coming up and it looks really exciting. I hope I will be able to get down to London again, and catch the transfer of Lin Manuel Miranda's In The Heights before it closes in April, as well as the Broadway production of Disney's Aladdin which opens in the Summer! Closer to home, there have been many new tours announced, including Sister Act, Chicago and Mary Poppins, so I am really excited!

I don't think there's anything more for me to do, except to wish you all a really Happy New Year and hope 2016 brings you all the happiness in the world!

Comments