It's time to try Defying Gravity!


I'm really happy that I can have the opportunity to talk about one of my absolute favourites this time. Last week, I went, for the second time to the UK tour of international hit Wicked, which is probably my 3rd (ish) favourite musical of all time!! I first saw it when the tour started in Manchester in September 2013 and was so happy about seeing it I kind of screamed during Defying Gravity - a fact my best friend still brings up to this day..... However, this time, I went to see it with my boyfriend (his first time), and I was a lot more contained. Oh and as you can see from the pictures, we had good seats! (Though zoomed in, see below for the picture we had of the view before the show) =D

Based on the novel by Gregory Maguire (which is pretty different from the show actually), Wicked has music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, who was also the genius behind Godspell and Pippin, as well as writing the lyrics for Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It premiered in 2003 on Broadway starring Kristen Chenoweth as Glinda, Idina Menzel as Elphaba, Norbert Leo-Butz as Fiyero and Joel Gray as The Wizard, and won 3 Tonys in 2004 (including Best Actress in a Musical for Menzel). Strangely enough, it lost Best Musical to Avenue Q (but hey, that also happens to be one of my favourites too); nevertheless, it transferred to London in 2006 and has since become one of the most successful musicals of all time.

I'm sure you're aware of the story, but in case not, in short, Wicked explores the relationship between the two witches of Oz - Glinda, The Good Witch of the North and Elphaba, otherwise known as The Wicked Witch of the West - before, during and after the events of The Wizard of Oz. It really becomes a juicy story, particularly in the second half, when it starts to run parallel with the original classic, even if you never see Dorothy on stage. And that's as far as I will go with the story as either, you know it already, or I want you to go and experience this wonderful show for yourself. The only thing I will mention is that, as far as going side by side with The Wizard of Oz is concerned, it does fill in a lot of gaps, and to me, is the best way to explain the story compared to other prequel films etc such as Oz The Great and Powerful (you know, the one with James Franco and Mila Kunis). Anyway, I digress.

Now, I'm going to go into the performances that stood out for me, and I think the person to start with would be Ashley Gray as Elphaba. I'm sure that to sing songs such as Defying Gravity, No Good Deed and The Wizard and I, you have to have a real belt - and boy does she have a belt!!! She gave the best vocal performance for me, and I truly got her shy but determined Elphie. I'm going to quote what my fella said after The Wizard and I - wow, she's good!
I liked Emily Tierny as Glinda, especially during No One Mourns The Wicked because I can see all the little acting choices in her face - people who've seen the show will know what I'm on about. She was annoying the first act and soft in the second, though I think the only thing I can think of was that she really liked her vibrato in the top notes.

On to a guy, I'd say the one with the best vocal tone had to be Samuel Edwards as Shiz University hunk Fiyero. Like Glinda, he grew from being really cocky and arrogant to more heartfelt beautifully, and his voice was gorgeous (as well as having a lovely ass in very tight pants...).
Finally, I think I should mention the 2 understudies we had because I sometimes feel they do not often get enough credit. I didn't even know we had understudies until I got home and was looking at the picture I took of the cast list we had that night. But sure enough, the beautiful Zoe George and Oliver Evans just had to be mentionned for playing Elphaba's fragile sister Nessarose, and munchkin Boq. Well done guys, you were brillant and you really had me fooled!!

So what, in my opinion, makes the show so popular (pun intended)? I think it's a number of things. I think it's the relate-able characters, the familiar world, the memorable score and unforgettable songs (who hasn't tried to sing Defying Gravity in the shower).... It's just the perfect mix of things made into a perfect musical.

I'm not sure what more to say than what has already been said, the show has become a classic - and you would be completely mad not to see it - whether during the last 3 weeks of the tour in Salford, or in London, or on Broadway - it has to be one of those musicals you must see before you die!!! =D

Comments